Monday, July 22, 2013

What is it?

αὐτο καταστροφή


It's two Greek words. The first meaning auto or self. The second meaning catastrophe or destruction. So together they read "Self Destruction." I don't claim to know how to read or write Greek. But I do know how to use google. And if i'm going to start a blog at 1:35am about how in need of grace I am, you can bet it's going to have some deep title.

So that's how the title of this blog came about.

I anticipate I will be posting on this fairly often in the wee hours of the night because thats when I get the greatest urges to write, and thats when I seem very vulnerable to give in to my many "urges."

Paul Tripp wrote a book entitled War of Words  in which he explains the nature of our urges as humans. According to Tripp, they can be traced back to Adam & Eve, specifically to when Eve decided to take a bite of some fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Tripp breaks it down into three basic steps. 1. You visually see what you want which causes you to 2. crave it with your body (covet) which leads to 3. boasting about it with your tongue. I'm not sure about the 3rd part, but based upon most of my life, I can attest to the first two being absolutely true. Whether it's the ding dongs I see walking down the isle at Walmart or the woman wearing very little clothing. I see and I must have.

So thats kind of a pretext as to what will be written around here. You're free to comment and do whatever you want with what you find here. The way I see it, it will only lead to more discussion and thus create more opportunities to use the words God has gifted to us to further His Kingdom.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment