Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Floating on.

Scholastically, this semester was a failure.

Because

I researched what I wanted to know about: philosophy, the stock market, 3D printing, mechanics, magnetism, social morality, social justice, theology, music Theory, wrote my own piano song.


I followed my own intellectual curiosities.
I read some works of American philosopher William James.
I read some of the Scottish philosopher David Hume.
I read some of Bertrand Russell.
I read Machiavelli.
Robert Solomon.
Tolstoy.
Thomas Aquinas.
Immanuel Kant.
Aristotle.
Socrates.
Epicurus.

I opened an account with Charles Schwab. I researched investing in the stock market. How 3D printing is going to change the world. I tried to find an American company involved in Graphene to invest in. I read about FOREX and wanted to get involved with that. I read about Bitcoin.

I tried to learn Music Theory. I wrote my own songs on the Piano. I wanted to transpose it onto sheet music.

I followed my intellectual curiosities. And i'm being reprimanded for it because the cost was a semester of school. I'm going to fail a few classes this semester, most likely. But does the end justify the means? What have I learned at the cost of a semester of school?

I've learned there are people who have changed the world by thinking about the world. These philosophers I've read about sought wisdom and understanding with a fervor and used what they learned about the past to discover the cause of the present, to steer today's direction of the present and effect the future. That is what I want. I want to understand why. Because there is a troubled world out there. I want to help it. And if a person 3,000 years ago could do it, so can I. I've learned that I have an earth sized curiosity but a volleyball sized head. Others would say I have a pea sized ability to focus. But so does a dog that you're trying to dress in a tutu.

This semester my eyes have been opened. I see in the big picture now. In the big picture, figuring out what I want in life at the cost of a semester of school is justified. It's unfortunate that my family's hard work and hard-earned money has paid a semesters tuition. I am sorry about that. But I know what I want to do now:

I want to simplify. Less school. Less hours. More study. Less frustration. More fulfillment. Laser beam. Not flashlight.

Exact steps towards my goal: Philosopher/theologian.


3 comments:

  1. I'm here after reading, and loving, one of your sister's posts. After reading this as well, I seriously think you should take a look at Thomas Aquinas College, CA. You pretty much just described yourself as exactly what the school, a very small one, looks for in its students, and what I, as a student there, wish I was more fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I don't know if you're interested in more school, as different as this one is.

      Delete
  2. Not enough people talk like this, nowadays. I just wanna say, you have insight don't ever loose that. BTW Reading you and your sister's blogs has inspired me to start blogging again. I have several blogs I've started or tried to start and then would be discouraged from lack of time to lack of readers...thanks for speaking so honestly and for speaking God's truth on ya'lls blogs!

    ReplyDelete